The Site and Contributions to the Site
You may submit a story, evaluation of another story, comment, question, answer or comment on the Site (collectively, “Contribution” or “Contributions”). Such Contributions are protected by the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) Creative Commons license detailed below (“Creative Commons” protections). Note that Contributions as defined here do not include include My Profile information as listed below.
You agree with the following:
- IDEO.org may retain and use the personal information that you register on the Site. Each User has a profile (“My Profile”) which is self managed.
- My Profile is i) created when registering on the Site (and includes: your name, email address, username, home country, location(s) where you work, focus area(s) of work, your profile image and your password), and ii) any supplemental information added to My Profile at will by you.
- Your Contribution on this Site is i) entirely voluntary, non-confidential and gratuitous; ii) visible to all other Users, and iii) protected by a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) license.
- You do not limit IDEO.org’s right to reproduce and publish your Contribution(s) in any manner consistent with the Creative Commons protections detailed below.
- You will not receive any payment or reward for your Contribution.
- IDEO.org may approach you through the Site to further pursue any Contribution.
- To act ethically and openly with all Users of the Site and to remove any Contributions that clearly may offend Users.
BY ACCESSING AND USING THE SITE AND BY CHECKING THE “I AGREE” BOX, YOU VERIFY THAT YOU ARE OVER 18 YEARS OF AGE AND YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ, UNDERSTOOD AND AGREE THAT THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS FORM A BINDING LEGAL AGREEMENT (the “Agreement”) BETWEEN YOU AND IDEO.org, AND YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THIS AGREEMENT.
If you are using the Site on behalf of an entity, you further represent and warrant that you are an authorized representative with the authority to bind such entity.
Grant and Restrictions on Use The website www.HCDConnect.org is owned and operated by IDEO.org. Excepting User Contributions and the HCD Toolkit, all visual interfaces, graphics, design, compilation, information, computer code, products, software (including any downloadable software), services, and all other elements of the Site provided by IDEO.org (the “Materials”) are protected by copyright, trade dress, author’s rights, patent, and trademark laws, international conventions, and all other relevant intellectual property and proprietary rights, and applicable laws. All Materials contained on the Site are the copyrighted property of IDEO.org.
User Contributions and the HCD Toolkit (including the individually downloadable methods contained on the Site) are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) license and can be used in a manner consistent with the Creative Commons protections defined here and detailed below.
IDEO.org grants you a non-exclusive, revocable right to use the Site for its intended purpose provided that you do not sell, license, distribute, copy, modify, publicly perform or display, transmit, publish, edit, adapt, create derivative works from, or otherwise make unauthorized use of the Materials, user Contributions, or the HCD Toolkit.
While IDEO.org endeavors to ensure that this Site is available at all times, IDEO.org shall not be liable if, for any reason, this Site is unavailable at any time or for any period.
Acceptable Use Policy
The Site enables you to submit, post, and share information and content with other HCD Toolkit users and practitioners of human-centered design in the social sector. You must be a registered User to submit any Contributions to the Site.
If you are a User and want to submit your Contribution, it must be in accordance with the regulations stated herein. You are able to update your Contribution at any time.
IDEO.org does not want to receive through this Site any confidential or proprietary information or materials otherwise subject to use restrictions. You understand that all Contributions will be deemed public and not confidential.
Unless expressly authorized on the Site, you are prohibited from posting or transmitting any “sensitive” personally identifiable information over the Site, which may include, but not be limited to, any information about yourself or another person that may relate to health or medical conditions, social security numbers or national identifiers, credit card, bank account or other financial information, other information concerning trade union membership, sex life, political opinions, criminal charges or convictions, religious or philosophical beliefs, racial or ethnic origin, or other sensitive matters. It is every User’s decision as to whether they upload an image (photograph) of themselves and opt to make this visible to other Users as part of My Profile.
You are also prohibited from:
1. using the Site to send or post harassing, abusive, or threatening messages;
2. transmitting through the Site any information, data, text, files, links, images, software, or other materials that IDEO.org considers to be unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, pornographic, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable or which threatens our relationships with our Users, partners, clients or suppliers;
3. attempting to conceal or misrepresent your identity, or impersonating any other individual (real names, e-mail addresses and other information must be used);
4. disrupting the normal flow of the Site, including any dialogue on the Site or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other Users; or post any unsolicited chain letters, advertising, promotional materials, contests, or any other commercial or non-commercial solicitations;
5. sending spam or other direct marketing communications or posting, transmitting or linking to any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, or any other forms of solicitation or commercial content;
6. intentionally or unintentionally performing or promoting any activity that would violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, including but not limited to any regulations having the force of law while using or accessing the Site;
7. posting or transmitting executable programming of any kind, including viruses, spyware, trojan horses, easter eggs, or any other form of computer programming;
8. posting Contributions or using the Site in such a way that damages the image or rights of HCDConnect, IDEO.org, other Users, or third parties; and
9. from creating any frames at any other websites pertaining to any portion(s) of this Site.
Your Contribution to HCDConnect on this Site is entirely voluntary, non-confidential and gratuitous. You grant to IDEO.org, its designees and other Users of the Site, an unrestricted, perpetual, irrevocable, sub-licensable, non-exclusive fully-paid up and royalty-free worldwide license to use any ideas, expression of ideas, Contributions or other materials you submit on this Site consistent with any applicable Creative Commons protections attaching to the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) license.
- You represent and warrant that you are the owner of all Contributions and have all legal right and authority to submit them to the Site and claim protection under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) license.
- You represent that you have obtained all necessary licenses, permissions, releases and consents required (including without limitation, privacy releases and/or publicity releases necessary for Contributions depicting people, products, businesses, or other content).
- Your Contribution represents your own original work, you have all necessary rights to disclose your Contribution on HCDConnect and in doing will not, to the best of your knowledge, infringe upon any other individual’s or entity’s rights.
- You understand that disclosure of your Contribution to IDEO.org does not establish a confidential relationship or obligate IDEO.org to treat your Contribution (or any related content) as secret or confidential.
- You understand that IDEO.org has no obligation, either express or implied, to develop or use your Contribution and that no compensation is due to you or anyone else for any inadvertent or intentional use of that Contribution, related Contributions or Contributions derived from your Contribution. You understand that IDEO.org assumes no obligation with respect to any Contribution.
- You acknowledge that IDEO.org, directly or indirectly, may be working on the same Contribution or a similar Contribution to your Contribution, or already knows of such Contribution from other sources. You also understand that other Users may be working on the same or a similar Contribution.
- You agree that (except to the extent that these terms are superseded by a separate agreement in writing by you and IDEO.org) you hereby irrevocably release and forever discharge IDEO.org from any and all actions, causes of actions, claims, damages, liabilities and demands, whether absolute or contingent and of any nature whatsoever, which you now have or hereafter can, shall or may have against IDEO.org with respect to your Contribution.
- In operating the Site, IDEO.org may act as a “services provider” as defined by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), and offer services as online provider of materials and links to third-party websites. IDEO.org’s procedures with respect to the DMCA Procedure and alleged copyright infringement can be reviewed here and you agree to comply with IDEO.org’s requirements with this respect.
- If you are viewing this Site on a public computer or are otherwise using a computer to which multiple people have potential access, you agree to follow good practice and ensure that you are sufficiently disconnected and logged off this Site and the computer system you are using to prevent unauthorized Contributions.
- You agree that IDEO.org shall not be responsible for any fees that are or become payable as a result of the copying, distribution or display of the Contributions, including without limitation fees: (i) for any images or video recording embodied in the Contributions; (ii) for any composition or underlying works embodied in any Contributions; or (iii) to any actor, model, writer, creator, composer, artist or artist affiliated entity.
- IDEO.org retains the right to review, edit or delete from the Site any Contribution which IDEO.org in its sole discretion considers illegal, offensive or otherwise inappropriate.
Creative Commons Protections
All Contributions to the HCD Connect website are protected by the Creative Commons “Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)” license. Note that Contributions as defined in this Agreement do not include include My Profile information provided by Site Users. The Creative Commons “Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)” license helps HCD Connect Contributors retain copyright protection while allowing other Users on the HCD Connect website to use and build off of your Contributions, as long as they do so for non-commercial purposes and give you the credit that you deserve for your work. The Creative Commons license works around the world and lasts as long as applicable copyright lasts. To learn more about the Creative Commons and the “Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike” license that protects the content you submitted to HCD Connect please click here.
The HCD Toolkit and all HCD Toolkit Methods (hereinafter, “HCD Toolkit”) are likewise protected by the Creative Commons “Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)” license. IDEO and IDEO.org retain copyright protection to all HCD Toolkit materials consistent with this license. HCD Connect Users are free to use and build off of all HCD Toolkit materials, as long as long as they do so for non-commercial purposes and attribute credit for the HCD Toolkit materials to either IDEO or IDEO.org. Creative Commons protection of the HCD Toolkit materials works around the world and lasts as long as applicable copyright lasts. To learn more about the Creative Commons and the “Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)” license that protects the HCD Toolkit materials found on HCD Connect please click here.
To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law IDEO.org excludes all liability and responsibility for any amount or kind of loss or damage that may result to you or a third party (including without limitation, any direct, indirect, punitive or consequential loss or damage or any loss of income, profits, goodwill, data, contracts, use of money, or loss or damage arising from or connected in any way to business interruption and whether in tort (including without limitation negligence, contract or otherwise)) in connection with the Site in any way or in connection with the use, inability to use, or the results of use of the Site, any websites linked to the Site, or the material on such websites, including but not limited to loss or damage due to viruses that affect your computer equipment, software, data or other property on account of your access to, use of or browsing the Site, uploading your Contribution(s), or your downloading of any material from the Site or any website linked to the Site.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
Site and Overview
Information We Collect
Our primary purpose in collecting your name, email address, username, home country, location(s) where you work, focus area(s) of work, profile image and password when you register to the Site (the “Login Information”) (as well as any supplementary information that you provide as part of your My Profile) is (i) to provide you with a safe, smooth, and efficient experience and (ii) to collect enough information about your experiences with the HCD Toolkit or while using human-centered design in the social sector to effectively link users of the HCD Connect platform with other Site Users conducting similar projects around the world. We only collect the minimum of personal information about you that we consider necessary for achieving this purpose.
Your Login Information is held within your account called My Profile. This is a) created when you register to the Site, and b) added to at will by you the User.
In general, you can browse the Site without telling us who you are or revealing any personal information about yourself. If you choose to submit a Contribution prior to registering to the Site, we will require you to first register with your Login Information thus creating My Profile. All Contributions will be viewable by other Users of the Site. You always have the option to not provide information by choosing not to register or submit a Contribution to the Site.
If you register and create My Profile and choose to submit Contributions, we will collect and store that information you provide to us. We retain this information for the purposes of the Site and as necessary to resolve disputes and troubleshoot problems as permitted or required by law.
If you send us personal correspondence, such as emails or letters, or if other Users or third parties send us correspondence about your activities or postings on the Site, we may collect such information into a file specific to you.
Our Use of Your Information
We use your personal information in the file we maintain about you, and other information we obtain from your current and past activities on the Site to:
- contact you about any Contributions
- troubleshoot problems and resolve disputes
- detect and protect us against error, fraud and other criminal activity
- enforce any terms and conditions governing use of the Site, and as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
We automatically track certain information based upon your activities on the Site. We use this information to do internal research based on Users’ Contributions together with Users’ demographics and interests as recorded in My Profile, with the potential to improve the Site. We may also track the URL that you came to the Site from (whether this URL is on the Site or not), which URL you next go to (whether this URL is on the Site or not), your computer browser information, and your IP address. We do all of these things to better understand, protect and serve you and the Site and to be able to investigate any allegations against you or us.
By accepting these terms and conditions you expressly agree that we may contact you as provided herein, and you agree that we may use your Login Information to contact you.
Our Disclosure of Your Information
IDEO.org may disclose information it has collected from you and/or Contributions you have made available on the Site when it believes in good faith that the law or legal process requires it, or when it is necessary to do so to protect the rights or property of IDEO.org or others. As a matter of policy, we do not provide any of your personal information to third parties without your explicit consent (given here). We will not use your information for marketing purposes for ourselves or others. The following describes some of the ways that your personal information may be disclosed in the normal scope of our business and you authorize us to do this for the purposes of the use, operation or any investigations of the information on the Site.
Internal Service Providers for Our Operations. We may use third parties that we refer to as internal service providers to facilitate or outsource one or more aspects of our business. Therefore we may provide some of your personal information directly to these internal service providers, or this information may come available to them in the course of our business with them. These internal service providers are subject to confidentiality agreements with us and other legal restrictions that prohibit their use of the information we provide to them for any other purpose except to facilitate the specific outsourced IDEO.org related operation, unless you have explicitly agreed or given your prior permission to them for additional uses.
Legal Requests. IDEO.org cooperates with law enforcement inquiries, as well as other third parties to enforce laws and intellectual property rights. Therefore, in response to a verified request by law enforcement or other government officials relating to a criminal investigation or alleged illegal activity, we can disclose login Information and name, address, telephone number if you have provided this, and without limiting the above, in an effort to respect your privacy, we will not otherwise disclose your personal information to law enforcement or other government officials without a subpoena, court order or substantially similar legal procedure, except when we believe in good faith that the disclosure of information is necessary to prevent imminent physical harm or financial loss; or to report suspected illegal activity.
Control of Your Password
Accessing, Reviewing and Changing Your Personal Information
You agree to maintain and promptly update and keep accurate, current and complete any information provided to IDEO.org as part of My Profile. You can change your name, email address, password, contact and other information by going to My Profile. Your previous Contributions will be associated with the updated information.
Your personal profile will be available to other Users. Be aware that other Users can object to any content on My Profile if they believe it damaging or offensive. Your recent Contributions are shown on your My Profile page.
Other Information Collectors
Your information is stored on our service provider’s servers. For more information regarding the security of the servers, please see Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud service (Amazon EC2 - http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/) in conjunction with Amazon S3 storage (http://aws.amazon.com/s3/). We use procedural and technical safeguards to protect your personal information against loss or theft as well as unauthorized access and disclosure to protect your privacy, including encryption, “firewalls” and Secure Socket Layers. We treat data as an asset that must be protected against loss and unauthorized access, and we employ many different security techniques to protect such data from unauthorized access by other Users and browsers of the Site. However, “perfect security” does not exist on the Internet.
If your personal information is to be used contrary to this policy, you will receive prior notice as provided in this Notice section.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
IDEO.org Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") Procedure
Infringement Notification Procedures
It is IDEO.org’s policy to respond to notices of alleged infringement that comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. In addition, IDEO.org will promptly terminate without notice the accounts of users that are determined by IDEO.org to be “repeat infringers.” A repeat infringer is a user who has been notified by IDEO.org of infringing activity violations more than twice and/or who has had a user submission removed from HCD Connect more than twice.
To file a copyright infringement notification with us, you will need to send a written communication that sets forth the items specified below (please consult your legal counsel or see Section 512(c)(3) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to confirm these requirements):
i. A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
ii. Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works on the Site.
iii. Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit IDEO.org to locate the material.
iv. Information reasonably sufficient to permit IDEO.org to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an email address at which the complaining party may be contacted.
v. A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
vi. A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
vii. To expedite our ability to process your request, such written notice should be sent to our designated copyright agent via email at HCDConnect@IDEO.org or via regular mail to the following address:Sean HewensIDEO.org Pier 28 Annex The Embarcadero San Francisco, CA 94105 Attn: IDEO.org DMCA copyright infringement notification
You acknowledge that if you fail to comply with all of the requirements of this section, your DMCA notice may not be valid.
Please note that under Section 512(f) any person who materially misrepresents that material or activity is infringing may be subject to liability for damages (including costs and attorneys’ fees).
Please also note that the information provided in this legal notice may be forwarded to the person who provided the allegedly infringing content.
The process for counter-notifications is governed by Section 512(g) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
To file a counter notification with us, you will need to send a written communication that sets forth the items specified below (please consult your legal counsel or see Section 512(g) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to confirm these requirements):
i. A physical or electronic signature of the user.
ii. Identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled. Providing the specific URL(s) of the material that IDEO.org has removed or to which IDEO.org has disabled access is the best way to help us locate content quickly.
iii. Your full name, address, telephone number, and email address, and the username of your HCDConnect account.
iv. A statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of Federal District Court for the judicial district in which your address is located (or any judicial district in which IDEO.org may be found if your address is outside of the United States), and that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification under subsection (c)(1)(C) or an agent of such person.
v. A statement under penalty of perjury that the subscriber has a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled.
Send the written communication to our designated copyright agent HCDConnect@IDEO.org or via regular mail to the following address:Sean Hewens IDEO.org Pier 28 Annex The Embarcadero San Francisco, CA 94105 Attn: IDEO.org DMCA copyright infringement notification
Please note that under Section 512(f) of the Copyright Act, any person who materially misrepresents that material or activity was removed or disabled by mistake or misidentification may be subject to liability. Accordingly, if you are not sure whether certain material infringes the rights of others, we suggest you consult your legal counsel.
What happens next?
After we receive your counter-notification, we will forward it to the party who submitted the original claim of copyright infringement. Please note that when we forward the counter-notification, it includes your personal information. By submitting a counter-notification, you consent to having your information revealed in this way.
After we send out the counter-notification, the claimant must then notify us within 10 days that he or she has filed an action seeking a court order to restrain you from engaging in infringing activity relating to the material on HCD Connect. If we receive such notification we will be unable to restore the material. If we do not receive such notification, we may reinstate the material.
DISCLAIMER: WE ARE NOT YOUR ATTORNEYS, AND THE INFORMATION PRESENTED HERE IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. WE PRESENT THIS INFORMATION FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
Jurisdiction and Compliance with Laws
In the event you browse, access or use another website hosted by IDEO or IDEO.org, you may be subject to alternative terms and conditions of use, as may be specified on such site. In such event, the terms and conditions of use applicable to that site will govern your use of the site.